Have you ever noticed that after a dental cleaning your teeth look sparkly and white, but over time they appear more dull and yellow? That yellowish color comes from plaque, a filmy substance made out of bacteria. Plaque accumulates on your teeth both above and below your gum line. You may find it unsightly, but what’s more, it can damage your teeth and gums if it’s not removed.
USE ORANGE PEEL TO REMOVE PLAQUE
YOU WILL NEED
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
- Take a piece of the peel and rub it directly on the teeth for 2-3 minutes.
- Leave the juices on for 2-3 minutes. Rinse your mouth clean with water.
Orange peels can also be made into a paste and applied to the teeth. Leave the paste on for 1-2 minutes and then rinse it off.
HOW OFTEN YOU SHOULD DO THIS
Do this twice or thrice a week.
WHY THIS WORKS
Orange peels help to fight the microorganisms in the mouth. This is a cheap and natural way to whiten tartar stained teeth.
VITAMIN TOOTH MASK
Mashing up fruits and veggies containing vitamin C is a quick and easy way to create a plaque-preventing paste mask for your teeth. Simply mash together tomatoes, strawberries, and oranges and put the paste on your teeth. Wait for 5-6 minutes and rinse. This will help kill any bacteria in your mouth and freshen up your breath.
Oil pulling is an age-old practice that supports oral health and helps remove plaque from teeth. Extra-virgin coconut oil is great for oil pulling because it is high in lauric acid that has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects.
A 2016 study published in the Nigerian Medical Journal suggests that oil pulling with coconut oil is effective at reducing plaque formation.
- Swish 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil around in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spit it out. Do not gargle with it or swallow it.
- Brush your teeth as usual.
- Repeat daily, in the morning before eating anything.
Plus, you can massage a few drops of coconut oil on your gums daily. You can also do oil pulling with warm sesame oil.
Ground cloves have been widely used for ages as a home remedy to relieve toothaches. It can also be used to fight microbes in your mouth that may cause plaque and tartar.
A 2014 study published in the Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology notes that an herbal mouth rinse containing clove, tea tree oil, and basil reduced the microbial colony forming units, making it an effective antiplaque and antigingivitis agent.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of powdered cloves and a little olive oil. Apply this mixture on your teeth. Wait a few minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this twice a day.
- Also, chew 1 or 2 cloves on a regular basis to support oral health and reduce bad breath caused by the bacteria in your mouth.