If you’ve ever suffered with dry skin, you’ll know all too well how annoying the condition can be and how uncomfortable it can make you. Whilst dry skin isn’t a life-threatening condition, it can affect your overall quality of life and can make people self-conscious about their appearance.
If you suffer from dry skin, you no doubt spend copious amounts of money on moisturising creams and balms, which sometimes don’t even work all that well. Why not try a more natural approach instead? Here we’ll be taking a look at a homemade overnight citrus body butter for soft, healthy, and hydrated skin.
What causes dry skin?
Even though dry skin isn’t a particularly dangerous condition, it can still affect your quality of life and leave you feeling uncomfortable. Some common reasons why we suffer from dry skin include:
Sunburn – Sitting in the sunshine is enjoyable, and it’s a great way of helping your body to synthesize some vitamin D. If you burn however, it’s not as enjoyable. One of the most common reasons why people suffer with dry and flaky skin is because they burn in the sunshine. The rays from the sun burn the outer-layers of the skin and you literally shed your dead skin. Too much sunshine also puts you at a greater risk of skin cancer, as well as sunstroke.
Warm dry air – During the colder winter months, we spend much more time indoors to try and keep warm. Many of us get our heat from electric fan heaters and similar devices, which blow and circulate warm air into the room. This combination of hot air and wind dries up your skin and sucks the moisture from it.
Cold wind – Winter weather can also cause dry skin when you’re outdoors. A cold wind also has a similar effect on your skin as warm dry air does. This is why winter often sees a surge in the amount of moisturising creams being sold.
Citrus body butter recipe
Now it’s time to share the recipe for this fantastic night time body butter. You will need:
- 4 drops of essential orange oil
- 1 cup of organic coconut oil
- Zest of half an organic lemon
- Zest of half an organic lime
- Zest of half an organic orange
- 4 drops of essential lemon oil
- Place the coconut oil into a pan and heat it gently for 20 minutes until it has melted (coconut oil is solid at room temperature)
- Once melted, add to a mixing bowl and combine with the fruit zests
- Now, add your essential oils and give a good mix
- Place into a fridge to soften slightly until you can make a slight indentation in the oil with your finger
- Now, place the mixture into a blender and blend everything together
- Your body butter is now ready
If you want soft, healthy, and hydrated skin that looks great and smells even better, this body butter recipe is perfect. Give it a try for yourself and see what you think.